A Beginners Guide to Low Carb, High Fat, Whole Food Eating

I get asked frequently how one gets started in this lifestyle. I thought it might be a good idea to post it in the most concise manner I was able, and just point everyone who asks in this direction. This is my philosophy, after 6 years of living and eating this way (here's my first post about low carb from another blog site), and I feel each of the following points are important to ones health and well-being.

Here's my before and after photo. It's a remarkable difference, but I've said from the beginning that the weight loss eating this way is just a happy side effect. If you want to control blood sugar, blood pressure, auto-immune diseases, diseases of modern civilization, there's really no better way. Sure, you will lose weight along the way and come to a point of homeostasis in every other health marker as well. It's a win-win, for sure.

I started out eating a low carb diet a la Atkins '72. It's the best version in my opinion, and closest to natural, whole foods since it was written before there were Atkins products to sell. I still think it's a good guide to follow, I just believe that we should be choosier about the types of fats we use than what Atkins recommends. If the good doctor were still with us today I can't help but feel he would agree that we know so much more about vegetable oils (and that they are not good for humans) than he knew way back when.

You can get a copy of old Atkins diet books via Amazon for cheap. I recommend getting a copy, and follow it aside from using vegetable oils and soy based anything, up to and including soybean oil and soy protein. Start with Induction: 20 carbs or less a day for the first two weeks. This will kick you into ketosis, which is fat burning mode. Do not be afraid that this will damage your body in any way. Ketosis is not anything like ketoacidosis. See the explanation of the difference in my first blog post linked above.

Fats and the quality of fats are my first consideration. So, if I don't eat vegetable oil, or margarine, just what fats do I eat? This graphic explains well:


healthy fats
I don't count calories, but percentage-wise 75% to 80% of the calories I consume come from fat. It's not unusual for me to put butter on my steak. Fat is your friend, especially saturated fat and animal fat. It gives you a feeling of satiety and you will be amazed that you aren't hungry between meals when you get enough of it. 

Animal Protein and low starch vegetables come next. 

Sure, grass-fed red meat is great, but not always affordable. Just make sure you eat some animal protein at every meal with some vegetables. Eggs are an inexpensive and healthy choice on low carb. 

Vegetable-wise, stay away from potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, beans, etc. They are high carb, and some contain anti-nutrients. This isn't South Beach, and if you are overweight, these vegetables and legumes are not your friends! Eat leafy greens, cruciferous veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower, etc.

Stay Away From These Things At All Cost, Especially While Trying To Lose Weight

Grains, sugar, starches, beans, and fruits. I may have missed something, but if I did I'll come back and amend my post. Middle daughter is wanting a ride somewhere. Taxi duty calls!