Winter is hanging on even though spring is right around the corner. There's a chill in the air that's going right through my bones, so last week I thought I'd throw together a comforting, creamy soup that was low carb/keto with some ingredients I had on hand, using my trusty pressure cooker.

What resulted was a rich, hearty soup that disappeared all too quickly! I had a little left over from the first batch and was looking forward to warming up a bowl to enjoy after work. That was, until my daughter messaged me and told me she was sorry, she couldn't stop herself from eating the rest of it, it was so delicious!

So, I've been craving it ever since and made another batch last night. There are no leftovers this time! No, I didn't eat it singlehandedly, I had plenty of help! That's okay, though, it's so quick and easy to make, I can make it again in the coming week when the craving hits again. This soup is so good, I just can't keep it to myself, I have to share because I think you'll love it as much as I, and my household, do!
This recipe will work with either the Crock Pot Express (the brand I use) or the Instant Pot.

Let's get started with the ingredients:

1 Whole Chicken (or 4 thighs and drumsticks, bone in with skin on)
4 C water
1 8 oz. package fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch fresh broccoli
3 heaping teaspoons powdered chicken bouillon
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
1 half pint heavy whipping cream
4 T Grass fed butter
Thyme, dried
Salt

The first time I made this I used the thighs and drumsticks. My preference is using those, but the whole chicken I used this time was very good.

Can you use skinless, boneless chicken? Sure, but you won't get all the flavor and fatty goodness you get when using whole chicken parts, but you may be able to make up for it with chicken stock or bone broth if you have some on hand.

Let's get to making some great soup, shall we?

Instructions:

1. Rinse chicken and place in cooker on rack with 2 cups of water.
2. Sprinkle salt and thyme on the chicken.
3. Secure top on the pressure cooker, making sure it's sealed and steam release is closed, and set on high pressure for 35 minutes.
4. When time is done, quick release the steam, and when fully released open the lid and remove chicken and rack, leaving broth from cooking in the pot.
5. De-bone the chicken, discarding skin (you could save the bones to make bone broth if you were so inclined!).
6. Remove about a half cup of broth and pour over cream cheese in a mixing bowl.
7. Place the de-boned chicken back into cooker pot.
8. Add 2 more cups of water, mushrooms and powdered bouillon and stir gently.
9. Seal cooker with lid again, steam release closed, setting cooker to high for 3 minutes.
10. Using a mixer, wand blender, or magic bullet, mix the cream cheese with the broth until smooth. (This tempers the cream cheese so it incorporates better into the soup broth and helps prevent separation).
11. After the 3 minutes, quick release the steam again, and remove lid.
12. Add broccoli that's been trimmed to yield only the crowns, and the butter.
13. Close cooker lid and steam release, and cook on high for 2 minutes.
14. Quick release steam when finished, and remove lid.
15. Stir in cream cheese.
16. Stir in heavy cream.
17. Add more salt to taste if necessary.
18. Serve to the delight of your family and friends.

Enjoy!